• What Is This Thing Called Brain Gym, and What's In It For Me?

    When I was introduced to Brain Gym in 1999, I was living the life of a fifth grade language arts teacher. I certainly was not one of those who related well to learning through the use of manuals and contrived lessons that didn't speak to the kids on their level. I thrived on challenging those I was honored to teach to think, be creative, and love learning. So, when this thing called Brain Gym was presented to me, I jumped in with both feet and was astounded at the differences it made in myself and my classes.
    So, what is this thing called Brain Gym? Simply put, it is a learning readiness tool that incorporates twenty-six simple movements. When done on a regular basis, these movements are designed to reduce stress, promote creativity, enhance communication and organizational skills and just make you feel better in body,mind, and spirit. After a very brief period of time, my students and I began noticing subtle and significant changes in our ability to return to a relaxed state and not become overly reactive when stressed. Grades improved, social interactions were more conscious and kind (tough work for those at the tender ages of ten and eleven), and some kids even found they no longer needed their glasses.

    Sounds pretty unbelievable, doesn't it? How can something so easy be so powerful?
    I decided to find out after that first year of subjecting all of us to four of the most basic movements. Over the next three years, I took classes and became a licensed instructor and consultant. Since that time, I have been invited to share this work with teachers, seniors, day care providers, businesses, and private clients. The movements work no matter what age or skill level someone is at. Watching people return to a place of calm and and quiet when just a short time before they were ready to jump out of their skin, known as fight or flight or survival mode, was so very gratifying.
    When I am asked why this isn't available in every school in the country, my reply is that it is too simple and it doesn't cost a lot. We are still at a place in education where we think if we throw tons of money and complicated systems into the ring that our problems will be solved. Perhaps, as educational budgets continue to shrink, people will open up to this amazingly powerful tool to better the lives of their students and themselves!

0 comments:

Post a Comment