• L-Carnitine and Graves Disease


    Many people with Graves' Disease prefer not to take antithyroid medication to manage the symptoms, and would like to take a natural approach to healing their condition. Symptom management is very important with any hyperthyroid condition, and for those who don't want to take Methimazole or PTU, there are natural alternatives. L-carnitine has been shown to inhibit thyroid activity, and as a result it is taken by some people with hyperthyroidism and Graves' Disease to help manage the symptoms.
    What is L-carnitine? It is a nitrogen-containing compound, and it helps with the process of transporting long-chain fatty acids into the mitochondria for oxidation. It is manufactured from lysine and methionine, which are amino acids. Even though L-carnitine is mainly found in the muscle, most of it is produced in the liver. The kidneys also manufacture some L-carnitine. Some food sources of L-carnitine include red meat and dairy products.
    What's The Proper Dosage of L-Carnitine?
    The dosage of L-carnitine needed depends on a number of factors. First of all, if someone wants to continue taking antithyroid medication then they will want to take a lower dosage than someone who decides not to take the drugs. The same concept applies to someone who incorporates other natural remedies to help manage their hyperthyroid symptoms. For example, if someone is taking Bugleweed, which is an herb that inhibits thyroid hormone, then they would take a lower dosage of L-carnitine than someone who wasn't taking this herb.
    As for specific dosage information, some sources will recommend for people with hyperthyroidism and Graves' Disease to take up to four grams of L-carnitine on a daily basis. But once again, the dosage will vary depending on whether the person is taking antithyroid medication and/or herbs. If a patient of mine is taking antithyroid medication, or an antithyroid herb such as Bugleweed, then I will recommend a small dosage of L-carnitine to begin with, such as 500 to 1,000mg. If someone is relying on L-carnitine alone to manage the hyperthyroid symptoms, then I will recommend a higher dosage of the supplement.
    Taking L-Carnitine With Other Natural Supplements
    If someone with hyperthyroidism or Graves' Disease chooses not to take any medication, then I typically will recommend a combination of supplements and herbs to manage the symptoms. While I think L-carnitine is a great supplement, the primary natural remedy I recommend for symptom management is Bugleweed. When I was initially diagnosed with Graves' Disease, Bugleweed was the main herb that helped to manage my hyperthyroid symptoms. To be honest, even though I currently recommend L-carnitine to many of my patients, I personally never took L-carnitine when I followed my natural treatment protocol. The reason was because I wasn't aware of the benefits of L-carnitine at the time. But as I learned more about this supplement I began recommending it to many of my patients.
    Motherwort is another herb that can help with symptom management. This is similar to a natural beta blocker, as taking this herb can help greatly with the cardiac symptoms (high pulse rate, palpitations, etc.). Although Bugleweed helped my hyperthyroid symptoms greatly, I eventually took Motherwort as well since I still had some heart palpitations. Some people also take Lemon Balm, which is another wonderful herb that can help with symptom management.
    Is Acetyl L-Carnitine The Best Form To Take?
    There is some controversy over the "best" form of L-carnitine to take. Acetyl-L-carnitine can help with numerous conditions. This includes nerve pain, mental disorders, and low testosterone. It also helps with the synthesis of glutathione, which is very important for one's immune system health, along with detoxification of the liver. Propionyl-L-carnitine is another type that can help with peripheral vascular disease, as well as congestive heart failure. Many of my patients have experienced great results by taking "regular" L-carnitine. Some people mix the different types of L-carnitine together, and I've known a few people who claim the combination worked better than taking any individual L-carnitine supplement.
    Of course it's important to keep in mind that L-carnitine isn't a cure for hyperthyroidism and Graves' Disease. While it can help to manage the hyperthyroid symptoms, it won't do anything for the autoimmune component of Graves' Disease, won't correct weakened adrenals, mineral deficiencies, heavy metal toxicities, etc. So while it can be a valuable supplement for anyone who is looking to follow a natural treatment protocol, taking it alone won't restore someone's health back to normal.
    So hopefully you have a better understanding of how L-carnitine can benefit people with hyperthyroidism and Graves' Disease. Some people choose to take this with antithyroid medication, others take L-carnitine along with Bugleweed, Motherwort, and other herbs that can help with symptom management. Either way, it's important to understand that L-carnitine can do a great job of managing the symptoms, but won't do anything to address the underlying cause of the condition, as other factors need to be incorporated to accomplish this.
    Dr. Eric Osansky is a licensed healthcare professional who personally used natural hyperthyroid treatment methods to restore his health when he was diagnosed with Graves' Disease. For more information on how to use Natural Hyperthyroid Treatment methods to restore your health back to normal, including a free guide that shows you how to treat your hyperthyroid condition naturally, please visit his website at

3 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, for most patients the disease will still go back and they will have to go through the same treatment all over again. Only Graves’ Disease Herbal Treatment  is helpful and effective way to cure this condition.

  2. Dr Itua cure my HIV, I have been a ARV Consumption for 10 years. i have been in pains until i came across Dr Itua on blogs site.I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location i explained every thing to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cured me, he gave me guarantee,He ask me to pay for items fees so when i'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua.I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days.Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work.My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and rest of my friends did too,Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what i'm talking about if you have same problem I was having then not now though.I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center.I have his calendar too that he recently sent me,He Cure all kind disease Like,Cancer,Herpes,Fibromyalgia,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Liver/Kidney Inflamatory,Epilepsy,Infertility,Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd ,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back..Here his Contact .drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

  3. sarah fred said...

    [ ] I'm here to testify about the great work Dr Ehimare did for me. I have been suffering from (HERPES) disease for the past 5 years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago I came across a testimony of one lady on the internet testifying about a Man called Dr Ehimare on how he cured her from HIV Virus. And she also gave the email address of this man and advise anybody to contact Dr Ehimare for help for any kind of sickness that he would be of help, so I emailed him on ( Drehimare3@gmail.com ) telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! Well i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as Dr Ehimare assured me that i will be cured,after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE, So
    - [ ] friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can contact Dr ehimare via email. { Drehimare3@gmail.com }or call or what sapp him on + 1 (267) 691-1087
    - [ ] DR Ehimare CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-
    - [ ] HIV/AIDS
    - [ ] HERPES
    - [ ] CANCER
    - [ ] ALS
    - [ ] cancer
    - [ ] Diabetes

Post a Comment