• Bronzer and Sunscreen - Tips for Flawless Application

    So you've probably heard all about the big, bad sun and the long term damaging effects it has on your skin. But, however shall we stay "golden" during the long winter months ahead?
    First, a little more info on why we should avoid the sun. Yes, I know I'm dangerously close to "Mommy Lecturing", but this is important! There are three types of ultraviolet light: UVA, UVB, and UVC. UVA is the least damaging of the three and provides us with the sun-kissed look we all enjoy. UVC is the most harmful, but is completely blocked out by our ozone layer. Long term effects of repeated exposure include premature aging of the skin, wrinkles, yellowing, and uneven skin tone (blotches). Medical reports indicate that individuals who experienced sunburn ONCE as children are at a much higher risk of contracting skin cancer. Now that I've scared you with the ugly "C" word, what can we do?
    Cover and Conquer

    I LOVE the beach. There's no way I can stay away, but I know it's completely necessary to coat myself in a good sunscreen. Sunscreens actually absorb the sun's harmful rays when wet, so it is necessary to reapply as recommended on your bottle. Opt for a screen that is SPF 15 or higher.
    Some tips for the avid beach-goer:
    - If you have sensitive skin, try a children's sunscreen. I've found that sunscreens made for children are gentle enough for a baby, but extra protective against the sun.
    - Don't forget the sensitive skin on your lips! Sport a lip balm to protect your smackers from the heat. (Dorky side note: protective lip balms actually have tiny pieces of metal incorporated in their recipe to reflect sun rays)
    - Beware of oily products. For those of us who are concerned with breakouts, invest in an oil-free concoction like those offered by Neutrogena.
    - Give special attention to areas that will be constantly exposed to the sun. I always like to slather extra layers of sunscreen on my shoulders, forehead, and nose. Not sure why, but these areas always take a beating when I hit the beach.
    - Make sure you coat EVERYTHING! Ask a buddy for help (or a cutie at the beach) if you can't reach all areas of your back. I once walked around with a ridiculous burn patch on my back for a week before it began to peel! I felt super cool.
    Bronzers are Better
    I live next to what maps term a "tropical rainforest". Not the ideal place for sunbathing. But, with the help of my sunless tanner I can look like I've spent days lounging out next to my imaginary pool. Bronzers and tanning solutions have gained a good amount of attention within the last couple of years. But the question that remains is: are they safe? The answer is yes. Solutions containing FDA-approved dihydroxyacetone (DHA) provide temporary tans with no reported health hazards (as long as the product is used as intended). This means that we should all refrain from snacking on the solutions and using them as eye drops. DHA is a colorless sugar derived from the sugar cane plant. DHA stains dead skin cells a darker color and your tan will fade in about a week when the dead skin cells wither away.
    Some helpful tips:
    - Get an all-in-one product. Purchase a product that smells delish and add a few drops of Vitamin E. Tan and repair your skin while smelling GRRRREAT!
    - Apply within ten minutes of stepping out of the shower. This will give the serum ample time to work it's magic until your next shower time. Also, studies have shown that this is an ideal time to quench your skin's thirst!
    - Start with an express bronzer (like Jergens Natural Glow Express Bronzer) and after you've achieved your preferred hue, graduate to a daily moisturizer with tanning properties (like Hawaiian Tropics Daily Moisturizer).
    - Test the consistency of the product. Some products take a while to dry and leave you feeling sticky. I prefer the products that actually feel like lotion rather than gel. I find that they are easier to apply and give a more even appearance.

0 comments:

Post a Comment